Accounting Analyst – SMS (12 months contract))
- Fixed Term
- FINANCE ACCOUNTS AND MANAGEMENT CONTROL
In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal’s Top Employers in 2023. We are a dynamic and growing organization having its main establishment located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future. Note that the position may be in the Canadian Branch of BNP Paribas or in one of its subsidiaries based in Montreal.
The position at a glance
The Analyst Brazil Subject Matter Stream (SMS) is responsible for the day-to-day maintenance and control of the general ledgers for the Brazilian entities. When applicable, she/he coordinates investigations, review of ledgers and potential accounting adjustments with the operations and reporting teams that they support. The scope of this role includes the recording of revenue and expense arising from transactions from Capital Markets and commercial lending activities on daily, monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual basis, to ensure that the financial records are properly maintained and exceptions are resolved in a timely manner.
- Perform month-end financial closing for the Brazilian entities (under IFRS and Local GAAP), which includes the posting of accounting entries and transactions analysis, the maintenance of analytical balances and analysis to communicate and resolve differences with counterparts.
- Enforce controls and ensure that balance sheets are in balance; prepare balance sheet reconciliations for the accounts assigned to Finance.
- Execute the Cost of Risk provision processes and outputs for IFRS and Local GAAP.
- Ensure the completeness and accuracy of feeds from the operating systems to the general ledger through a review of the reconciliation reports.
- Provide assistance in responding to questions from the external auditors, Client Service Team, Operations, Projects and reporting teams.
- Perform the upload quarterly from Ledger to Head Office Reporting tool assuring that head-office reporting requirements and instructions are covered across the different schedules.
- Coordinate update of static data (tables, parameters, allocations) and user maintenance for the tools/systems under the team’s responsibility.
- Prepare the quarterly GAAP adjustments (conversion to IFRS) to make sure reporting figures are well presented in both GAAPs.
- Prepare files support for adjustments related to securities and IFRS 16.
- Prepare/ update Mappings between GL and Head Office reporting Tool.
- Participate in the upgrades/version releases of respective reporting tools, as well as system amendments/enhancements required to facilitate new/modified reporting requirements. In connection with this effort, assist in user acceptance testing and troubleshooting after deployment.
- Work with various stakeholders helping to understand and account for the impact of new products, transactions, and businesses on accounts.
- Participate in the testing, and implementation of systems to support the activities.
- Prepare and update policies and procedures related to Finance activities for Mexican entities.
- Escalate problems / issues in a timely manner.
- Provide quality services to other teams / Groups (Which includes interaction with Brazil Finance and Operations).
The strengths and skills that will help you succeed
- Accounting degree from a reputable university. CPA designation (asset)
- Between 2 to 5 years of financial accounting experience, preferably from an accounting firm (Big 4 or medium-sized) or within the Financial Services/Banking Industry.
- Accounting: Working knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles under IFRS and regulatory and tax accounting rules and regulations; Basic capital market products knowledge.
- Ability to deliver/ be result driven: Be a self-starter and team player, able to work independently and collaboratively with various teams in a deadline-focused environment.
- Analytical ability: ability to learn new systems and products quickly; effective analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent Excel skills (including pivot tables, VLOOKUP, SUMIF).
- Knowledge of the English language is required
- Portuguese an asset.
What’s in it for you
In addition to competitive compensation, we hybrid work arrangements, such as remote working and flexible working hours are available for most positions. BNP Paribas provides opportunities for career development within the company and internationally.
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;
- If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- Given the vast majority of our clients, both internal and external, are based outside of Quebec and Canada, specific language requirements may apply. These will be clearly mentioned in the qualifications of the position;
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal’s Top Employers 2023
- Canada’s Best Diversity Employers 2023
- Women in Governance – Parity certified – Gold certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **