Transversal Operation Permanent Controller (TOPC)
- Employment contract
- Standard / Permanent
- Job / Mission
- PERMANENT CONTROL
In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal's Top Employers in 2023. We are a dynamic and growing organization having its main establishment located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future. Note that the position may be in the Canadian Branch of BNP Paribas or in one of its subsidiaries based in Montreal.
The position at a glance
Americas CIB Transversal Operation Permanent Control (“OPC”) team is responsible for strengthening and aligning the OPC teams embedded in our businesses by standardizing and implementing a consistent methodology across the region, and ensuring ongoing monitoring.
The Transversal Controls team is looking for a candidate who will support the regional team in a leadership position based in Canada through the analysis and reporting of data to senior leaders. The position is created as part of extended team headed in New York and localized in Montreal as part of the regional set up. The CIB Americas Transversal Operational Permanent Control (“OPC”) Team has a broad range of responsibilities, overseeing the operational controls related activities in various perimeters like front offices, Operations, and functions such as Finance and others. The responsibilities include among other tasks: procedure management, control design, monitoring, and assessment, control performance reporting, risk assessment, audit recommendations follow-up.
The Central Policy Office is a sub-group within the CIB CCCO AMER department. This centralized function will provide transversal oversight over the processes of developing, approving and storing the policies, procedures and other documentation for:
- IHC Board, its Board Committees and Sub-committees
CIB and all Regional Functions supporting them
- Coordinate the entity’s operational control framework related to all operational risks front-to-back including fraud, third party, conduct, compliance, regulatory, technology, and other risks.
- Collaborate with Operational Risk and ensure the business lines/functions comply with internal policies, procedures and guidelines issued by Operational Risk as well as external regulatory and supervisory requirements.
- Advise the bank’s business lines and/or functions on defining their risk appetite through a controls self-assessment (RCSA), periodic controls assessment and review, improvement of controls through audit recommendations, and monitoring of historical incidents.
- Ensure alignment of the local control environment with the global requirements at the Group level.
- Manage the controls self-assessment (RCSA) for respective business lines and/or functions by ensuring effective implementation and maintenance of the RCSA within the operational control framework.
- Support the local COO and CEO for Op Risk local governance committees (report and update on status of historical incidents, control results, recommendations, and other key performance indicators) under the supervision of the local team manager and in liaison with Operational Risk.
- Lead, consolidate, and produce key reporting metrics for monthly retrieval, review, assessment, and monitoring of permanent control information (controls on controls, Key Risk Indicators, Key Performance Indicators…).
- Ensure that follow up points are addressed and actioned by the issue owner prior to governance committees.
- Actively prepare visual meeting dashboards and update control owners on control performance, topics of attention, and key control initiatives & projects.
- Periodically re-assess and evaluate the control assessment scope & parameters based on the defined risk appetite, and external and internal factors within the changing risk environment in order to ensure accuracy and efficiency within the periodic control assessment process.
- Lead and develop automation in reporting and enhance efficiency in the day-to-day tasks.
- Advising and liaising with policy management teams within the bank’s major functions and business lines on the requirements of the policy governance throughout BNPP, and its implementation.
- Maintaining a library of the current versions and recent past versions of approved policies, programs, frameworks, and operating procedures.
- Maintaining and managing the update schedule for various documentation.
- Conducting quality control over documentation to ensure adherence to governance requirements, and internal consistency across BNPP, as appropriate.
- Publish BNPP documentation.
- Managing significant projects related to the development of this policy function.
The strengths and skills that will help you succeed
Undergraduate University / Bachelor of Arts or Science degree required
Masters, MBA or Advanced preferred
Knowledge of the English is required.
- At least 3 to 5 years’ experience, preferably in Governance/Controls / Risk, Audit or Compliance.
- Outstanding organizational, editing and logic skills.
- An innovator with tenacity and intellectual curiosity to identify and resolve the root causes of issues, adding value through independent mindsets.
- A leader who uses a positive approach, rising to the challenge of stretching objectives and requirements striving to achieve them within agreed deadlines and standards.
- Acts on own initiative and actively seeks to find solutions to problems.
- Proficiency in productivity tools (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project), Business intelligence tools (Power Bi, Tableau).
- Exceptional analytical skills, superior technical skills, and a practical approach to applying them.
- Superior communication skills, oral, written, and presentation.
- Solid project management skills.
- An appreciation of evolving regulatory expectations.
- Change agent with exemplary attitude: innovative, enthusiastic, rigorous, execution oriented.
What’s in it for you
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer flexible benefits including a family and spouse insurance program, a defined contribution pension plan and paid days for volunteering. Hybrid work arrangements, such as remote working up to 50% and flexible working hours are available for most positions. BNP Paribas provides excellent training and personal development programs, as well as opportunities for career development within the company and internationally.
To find out more about our range of benefits, click here
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;
- If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- Given the vast majority of our clients, both internal and external, are based outside of Quebec and Canada, specific language requirements may apply. These will be clearly mentioned in the qualifications of the position;
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal Top Employer 2023
- Canada's Best Diversity Employer 2023
- Women in Governance – Parity certified – Gold certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **