Senior Credit Analyst, Industrials
- Standard / Permanent
- CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal’s Top Employers in 2023. We are a dynamic and growing organization having its main establishment located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future. Note that the position may be in the Canadian Branch of BNP Paribas or in one of its subsidiaries based in Montreal.
The position at a glance
Corporate Credit Management (“CCM”) is a transversal Team in support of the approximately 800 Corporate Clients of the North American platform. The CCM Team works to ensure coverage, monitoring & execution of all counterparty risk requests for the Corporate platform. The portfolio of clients consists of investment grade, high yield, and LBO groups. In the role, the Senior Credit Analyst will interact and develop strong relationships with Bankers (i.e. Coverage), Risk partners, Delegation Holders, and Product Teams (among others, FX, IRD, Commodity, Equity, Global Trade Solutions, Loan Capital Markets, and Leveraged Finance Teams) including coordinating the credit process amongst the various Product and Risk teams to ensure an efficient and smooth turnaround of transactions. The CCM team is organized into 8 sectors, with Industrials being one of them.
As an Associate in CCM, the candidate will be responsible for the credit management of assigned corporate clients and for working on new client deals along with other colleagues on the Team (Analyst to Director). Core tasks and responsibilities include (among others):
- Manage and monitor the credit quality of a portfolio of assigned North American Industrial clients (corporates as well as LBOs, spanning the entire rating spectrum). This will include:
- In depth analysis of borrowers’ financial statements, related historical series and quantitative ratio analyses
- Assessment of quantitative performance metrics based on full year / quarterly financial statements and financial covenant compliance certificates
- Utilize qualitative / quantitative information available in Lenders Presentations, press releases, news articles, rating agency reports, equity analyst reports, and industry researches and trends, etc.
- Perform credit analysis and prepare thorough and in-depth credit memoranda for assigned Industrials clients. Provide solid recommendations to support decision makers. This will apply when working on new clients, new transactions, annual reviews, facility renewals, amendments & waiver requests, and quarterly monitoring updates
- Sound modelling skills are required to efficiently handle and analyze high levels of quantitative historical data as foundation to perform forward looking projections at company-specific and sector level. Strong Microsoft Excel knowledge will be needed
- Evaluate clients/transactions for risk-related changes of counterparty rating, recovery at default (inclusive of collateral analysis), and applicable regulatory facility rating
- Actively participate in deal teams with Sector Coverage Bankers and related product groups to drive the credit process for new origination activity for prospects, new clients and existing relationships. This includes presenting and discussing in-scope analyses during Credit Committees
- Develop and maintain strong interaction with stakeholders and lead the credit process to ensure an efficient and smooth turnaround of transactions
- Keep key stakeholders abreast of sector and industry trends and possible headwinds / tailwinds due to changes in macro-economic dynamics and advise them regarding best course of actions to maintain assumed risks under control
- Maintain reporting related to the assigned portfolio including among other things loan exposure tracking, regulatory related requirements, and other general reports for internal / external uses
- Act as a team player supporting and working with other team members, bringing value and contributing to the success of the larger team
- Interact with other BNPP teams in EMEA and APAC to coordinate on client strategy as well as ad-hoc projects pertaining the Industrials portfolio
- Attend bank meetings and/or client calls with the Bankers
- Interact with internal and external auditors (such as ECB and FED representatives) during loan examinations
The strengths and skills that will help you succeed
- Degree in Finance or Accounting
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years of prior experience in corporate banking (preferably in corporate credit management with M&A/LBO prior experience) and/or at rating agencies covering Industrials companies
- Solid knowledge of financial statement analysis and robust fundamental corporate credit analysis skillset
- Good knowledge of general banking products and banking practices including a strong understanding of loan structure, terms and credit agreements
- Advanced projection modeling skills
- Strong business writing skills
- Proficiency in Word and Excel
- Highly organized, motivated and hard working with strong business writing and verbal skills
- Ability to confidently operate independently and to constructively interact with more senior stakeholders
- Knowledge of the English language is required.
- Master’s in finance and/or MBA
- CFA (or CFA candidacy)
- Completion of formal credit training courses
What’s in it for you
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer flexible benefits including a family and spouse insurance program, a defined contribution pension plan and paid days for volunteering. Hybrid work arrangements, such as remote working up to 50% and flexible working hours are available for most positions. BNP Paribas provides excellent training and personal development programs, as well as opportunities for career development within the company and internationally.
To find out more about our range of benefits, click here
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;
- If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- Given the vast majority of our clients, both internal and external, are based outside of Quebec and Canada, specific language requirements may apply. These will be clearly mentioned in the qualifications of the position;
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal Top Employer 2023
- Canada’s Best Diversity Employer 2023
- Women in Governance – Parity certified – Gold certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
- Part of Les Affaires top 300 companies in Quebec
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **