Risk Modelling Intern (May-August 2024)
- Standard / Permanent
In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal’s Top Employers in 2023. We are a dynamic and growing organization having its main establishment located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future. Note that the position may be in the Canadian Branch of BNP Paribas or in one of its subsidiaries based in Montreal.
As an intern, you will benefit from a 4 month program that aims to give you the tools to develop yourself and discover your potential through customized trainings, networking sessions and transversal projects.
More information about the program available on our website:
The position at a glance
RISK Mission Statements:
- To advise the Bank’s Management on risk appetite definition
- To contribute as an objective “second pair of eyes” that risks taken on by the Bank align with its policies
- To report and alert Bank Management of the status of risks to which the Bank is exposed
- To contribute to the development and growth of the risk culture within the Group
RISK’s main responsibilities are:
- Credit and counterparty risk, market risk, funding and liquidity risk, as well as interest rate and FX risk of the Banking book, insurance risk and operational risk.
- RISK covers all Group’s activities and geographies.
- Provide a holistic view of the risk profile to the Bank’s Management and Board, by coordinating with the relevant Functions to ensure relevant risk assessment, aggregation, and reporting.
As part of the Modeling team:
- As part of the modeling team, work on development of statistical and econometrics models for various risk management activities, including (but not limited to): loss forecasting and stress testing of the Bank’s portfolio of loans, Value at Risk (VaR) models, Risk not in VaR models, reserving, budgeting, account management, profitability, new loan originations and other strategic initiatives, and regulatory compliance.
- Follow the established modeling development principles to implement statistical and analytical solutions and be part of the team that develops and implements those solutions.
- Complete various tasks and pieces of the model development process in a timely manner under supervision of experienced modelers. Provide support to document analytical solutions in accordance with the Bank’s latest model governance policies.
- Follow proper model monitoring and back testing processes, model change control procedures and versioning protocols.
- Collaborate with production analytics team to implement and test the models and to continuously enhance analytic infrastructure.
- Work effectively either independently or as part of a team.
- Keep abreast with developments in quantitative risk management and industry best practices in model validation.
- Manage time and resources in a dynamic multi-task environment.
The strengths and skills that will help you succeed
TRAINING AND OCCUPATIONAL EXPERIENCE
- Student completing their Bachelor’s degree in a Quantitative field
- Experience in data exploration, data mining, and data transformation is required.
- Experience with statistical estimation algorithms and model design is preferred.
- Knowledge of a variety of modeling techniques such as multivariate regressions and models with categorical response variables.
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS
- Demonstrated strengths in problem solving, planning and organizing and initiative.
- Self-motivated, results oriented and capable of independent and critical thinking and problem solving.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.
- Language: French/English. Fluency in English is required due to nature of the role
- Currently enrolled full-time in an accredited Canadian post-secondary program
- Must be able to work in the local premises
- Be 18 and over
- Have at least one more semester left after completion of internship
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;
- If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- Given the vast majority of our clients, both internal and external, are based outside of Quebec and Canada, specific language requirements may apply. These will be clearly mentioned in the qualifications of the position;
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal’s Top Employers 2023
- Canada’s Best Diversity Employers 2023
- Women in Governance – Parity certified – Gold certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
- Part of Les Affaires top 300 companies in Quebec
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **