Payments and Level 1 Sanction Specialist
- Standard / Permanent
- CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal’s Top Employers in 2023. We are a dynamic and growing organization having its main establishment located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future. Note that the position may be in the Canadian Branch of BNP Paribas or in one of its subsidiaries based in Montreal.
The position at a glance
Candidates will be measured on the following four performance drivers that will dictate how individual impact is considered on the Americas platform:
- Results and Impact
- Leadership and Collaboration
- Client, Customer and Stakeholder Focus
- Compliance Culture and Conduct
- Provide Payment Services and Level 1 Sanctions coverage between 5AM – 3PM.
- Transaction processing in one or more of the company’s internal operations to support domestic and international customers for payment and check processing service functions.
- Perform first level review of obvious false positive (payments/Swift messages and non-payment messages) that are stopped for review in our various filtering systems.
- Escalate questionable and exact matches to the Level 2 Team (SEE) for review
- Ensure instructions are executable, properly authorized or signed, or authenticated where applicable.
- Correction of transactions received via automated feeds with improper formatting and or items previously disapproved by verifiers.
- Awareness of daily work levels and achieves set standards and goals.
- Identify and take prompt action on priority items.
- Ensure adherence to all external regulatory and internal policy guidelines as dictated by the position
- Perform other support operations functions as required.
- Foreign exchange processing duties, which include, buying and selling foreign currency, entering, verifying wire transfer.
- Verify figures with the Trading group for Funds Control to ensure both areas are aligned in cash position
- Monitors and records all intra-day activity as received from the Traders/TFLM, prepare position and provide any anomalies or fails reporting to their attention.
- Must have the ability to identify and resolve intra-day position for funds control and reconciliation through various reports.
- Responsible for end of day proof and reconciliation.
- Share in the rotational coverage of all functions within the area.
- Process/Validate Outclearing checks, Incoming and Outgoing Collection letters.
- Provide NRM database feedback.
- Contributes directly to the Permanent Operational Control device: by applying the procedures, by carrying out the monitoring and by alerting his superiors to any malfunction.
The strengths and skills that will help you succeed
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Excellent communication skills
- Knowledge of English is required
- Strong interpersonal skills and good judgment
- Concern for Quality, Accuracy and attention to detail.
- Self-motivated, ability to multi-task and work well under pressure.
- Customer Service Orientation
- Organization skills
- Team oriented.
- The candidate must be PC literate with a strong working knowledge of Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- 1/3 years’ experience in the field of banking operations
- Industry Knowledge: Product knowledge of Wire Transfer and Check processing business. This should be complemented with an understanding of Accounting and Regulatory background.
- Degree from accredited college/university
- Strong understanding of Funds Transfer operations as well as the rules and regulations, which govern it, (this will include both CHIPS, Fedwire, LYNX and ACH.)
- Strong preference for previous banking experience with foreign exchange
- Knowledge of local clearing systems, SWIFT and the various formatting issues associated with them.
What’s in it for you
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer flexible benefits including a family and spouse insurance program, a defined contribution pension plan and paid days for volunteering. Hybrid work arrangements, such as remote working up to 50% and flexible working hours are available for most positions. BNP Paribas provides excellent training and personal development programs, as well as opportunities for career development within the company and internationally.
To find out more about our range of benefits, click here
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;
- If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- Given the vast majority of our clients, both internal and external, are based outside of Quebec and Canada, specific language requirements may apply. These will be clearly mentioned in the qualifications of the position;
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal Top Employer 2023
- Canada’s Best Diversity Employer 2023
- Women in Governance – Parity certified – Gold certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
- Part of Les Affaires top 300 companies in Quebec
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **