Market Risk Intern (May to August 2024)
In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal’s Top Employers in 2023. We are a dynamic and growing organization having its main establishment located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future. Note that the position may be in the Canadian Branch of BNP Paribas or in one of its subsidiaries based in Montreal.
As an intern, you will benefit from a 4 month program that aims to give you the tools to develop yourself and discover your potential, through customized trainings, networking sessions and transversal projects.
More information about the program available on our website:
The position at a glance
At BNP Paribas Canada, it is our employees, which make the difference… Our 75 nationalities are part of our diversity!
Do you like challenges, a structured framework, the prospect of optimizing and innovating? You are known for your originality and want a certain freedom to think while sharing your knowledge and ideas?
This summer, BNP Paribas Canada opens its doors to you for a paid Summer Internship from May to August 2024.
During that time, the intern will benefit from a program composed of several corporate events, including a welcoming session, training and presentation to Management.
We are looking for a Market Risk Analyst within our RISK MFI team.
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The RISK function of BNP Paribas constitutes the Second Line of Defense of the Bank. It aims at independently reviewing, assessing, challenging and communicating on the level of risk generated by the various business lines and activities within the Group. Hence, RISK both protects and serves the bank by acting as a key contributor to its long-term development.
RISK Mission Statements:
- To advise the Bank’s Management on risk appetite definition
- To contribute as an objective “second pair of eyes” that risks taken on by the Bank align with its policies
- To report and alert Bank Management of the status of risks to which the Bank is exposed
- To contribute to the development and growth of the risk culture within the Group
RISK Markets and Financial Institutions (“RISK MFI”) is responsible for the monitoring of market, liquidity and counterparty risks of the BNP Paribas Corporate and Institutional Banking (CIB) perimeter. RISK MFI helps the Group senior management, the RISK Function and Global Markets to make the best choices by anticipating on events and finding the right balance between profitability and long-term protection of the Bank. RISK MFI is organized into 2 streams (Analysis & Decisions and Platforms), present in 14 locations across Europe, Asia Pacific (APAC) and Americas.
The Canadian RISK platform was created in early 2020, the main mandate of the newly created RISK Shared-Service platform is to support and deliver high-quality services to the U.S. RISK teams.
The intern will join a new and dynamic team, exposed to a vast range of different tasks and projects, as expected for a recently created platform.
SUMMARY OF THE ROLE
As part of the RISK MFI Americas team, the candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- Monitoring of main risks and limits on business lines,
- Management of production issues affecting market risks in tandem with IT teams,
- Participation in process harmonization with counterparts in Europe and Asia,
- Participation in innovation projects to improve process efficiency.
All in all, the intern’s mission will allow the candidate to gain more knowledge on markets, products and market risk management.
At the same time, the innovation aspect will allow the intern to develop technical skills. As such, this mission is a rare opportunity to gain in both functional and technical knowledge.
1. After an initial training period with a team member, the candidate will progressively take on responsibility for monitoring a business line (e.g., equity derivatives, interest rates, credit products, etc.)
The candidate will be in charge of a number of daily tasks such as:
· Daily limit reporting
· Limit excess notifications
2. For the business line that the candidate is responsible for, he/she will have to perform the following:
· Monitor data quality in the RISK systems and potentially represent RISK MFI’s interests for projects that involve data quality improvement.
· Be able to propose ways of improving the efficiency of RISK MFI processes (e.g., reporting, calculation methodologies, etc.)
3. The candidate will also be tasked with proposing and developing IT tools (spreadsheets, macros, Python/R scripts, etc.) for the team and for other teams within RISK MFI.
- Student completing their Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Financial Engineering, Finance, Math, Sciences, Economics, Econometrics or related discipline with a graduation date of December 2024 or May 2025; Master’s degree would be a plus;
- Proficiency with MS Office Tools
- Proficiency in Excel VBA is a must
- An interest in developing practical solutions to data analysis problems by using more advanced solutions (R/Python) is preferred;
- Some familiarity with financial products is an advantage (bond pricing, definition of Greeks (Delta/Vega/Gamma), concepts of option pricing) is preferred;
- Fluent in both English and French
SKILLS AND BEHAVIOURS
- Flexible and autonomous
- Demonstrative strengths in initiative
- Proficient written & oral communication
- Motivation and ability to work collaboratively as part of a global team,
- Curiosity and ability to learn quickly and being results driven
- Capacity for critical thinking & express good judgement and a sense of responsibility
- High degree of work ethics and exemplary conduct
- Currently enrolled full-time in an accredited Canadian post-secondary program
- Must be able to work in the local premises
- Be 18 and over
- Have at least one more semester left after completion of internship
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;
- If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- Given the vast majority of our clients, both internal and external, are based outside of Quebec and Canada, specific language requirements may apply. These will be clearly mentioned in the qualifications of the position;
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal’s Top Employers 2023
- Canada’s Best Diversity Employers 2023
- Women in Governance – Parity certified – Gold certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
- Part of Les Affaires top 300 companies in Quebec
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **