- Employment contract
- Standard / Permanent
- Job / Mission
In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal's Top Employers in 2022. We are a dynamic and growing organization having its main establishment located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future. Note that the position may be in the Canadian Branch of BNP Paribas or in one of its subsidiaries based in Montreal.
The position at a glance
The U.S. Financial Security Department's FIU Investigator reviews geopolitical publications related to Financial Security topics in order to detect, analyze and disseminate current events pertaining to new and trending money laundering, terrorist financing, fraud and/or corruption threats while closely tracking regulatory actions and guidance. The FIU Investigator shares intelligence gleaned from media reviews with local and global stakeholders; and escalates exposures identified through the analysis of such risks to larger FS investigative teams. While this open role predominantly pertains to the media review as a daily task, providing assistance within the quarterly Financial Security control plan testing as well as the annual Financial Security risk assessments fall within this role’s responsibilities as well.
The primary focus of this role is to:
- Assist in the detection of and review of both local and global current events related to money laundering, terrorist financing, fraud, bribery and/or corruption on an on-going basis using keyword search algorithms and news subscription sources – prioritizing those found with potential exposure to BNP Paribas business and geographies.
- Perform lookback transactional and client referential analysis to identify potential BNPP exposures to trending adverse media identified – routing local and global escalations accordingly.
- Maintain all logs and tracking of articles reviewed, results of lookback searches as well as escalations sent resulting from the media coverage reviews.
- Anticipate the regulatory requirements exemplified in the ongoing monitoring of recently published regulatory actions and guidance and work with Management to ensure the requirements are met within BNP Paribas’ AML, KYC and Sanctions Programs.
- Draft and disseminate the bi-monthly FIU Points of Interest publication summarizing the trending media coverage related to Financial Security topics reviewed while highlighting the potential exposures identified to BNPP.
- Articulate highlights for the purpose of publishing trend analysis and productivity metric reporting – inclusive of internal FIU statistical analysis or other management requested metrics.
- Assist in conducting the quarterly Financial Security Control Plan testing and reporting by working with stakeholders to collect and test data specific to pre-defined control points.
- Assist in conducting the annual BSA/AML Risk Assessment and Sanctions Risk Assessment by working with stakeholders to collect and enter required data points.
- Conduct or assist with special ad-hoc investigations and projects as deemed necessary by U.S. Financial Security Management.
- Assist in the creation, development and review of local Compliance procedures related to FIU tasks.
- Assist in the coordination of materials for internal and external meetings – including quarterly global FIU forum, internal team meetings and examinations or audits of the U.S. Financial Security Department as needed.
The strengths and skills that will help you succeed
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience with a financial services firm and/or self-regulatory organization in a Financial Security (BSA/AML, KYC and/or Sanctions) position or within an audit/testing function of FS;
- Strong knowledge of AML, KYC, U.S.A. PATRIOT Act, Bank Secrecy Act, AML Reform Act, OFAC / Sanctions (EU/UN/French Sanctions program knowledge a plus), U.S. securities and banking regulations, including the rules and regulations of the SEC, CFTC and all exchanges and associations under such federal agencies, including FINRA, NYSE, CBOE, ISE, CME, NYMEX and ICE US as it relates to BSA/AML and Sanctions.Strong written and oral presentation skills a must.
- Fundamental analytical and investigative skills – inclusive of being self-motivated, well organized and with a strong attention to detail.
- Ability to manage multiple compliance reviews/projects simultaneously with timely completion.
- Ability to apply knowledge of regulations to numerous types of business activities across multiple operational teams in addition to interpreting the effect of new regulations and internal procedural standards on these activities.
- Strong computer skills including MS Office Suite – notably Excel.
- Bachelor’s degree required; ACAMS and/or financial crime certification preferred
- Proficient in identifying, analyzing and escalating potential regulatory issues and emerging risks;
- License & Registrations: Not required.
What’s in it for you
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer flexible benefits including a family and spouse insurance program, a defined contribution pension plan and paid days for volunteering. Hybrid work arrangements, such as remote working up to 50% and flexible working hours are available for most positions. BNP Paribas provides excellent training and personal development programs, as well as opportunities for career development within the company and internationally.
To find out more about our range of benefits, click here
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- Given the vast majority of our clients, both internal and external, is based outside of Quebec and Canada, our positions require employees to speak another language than French – being English for most positions; other languages such as Spanish or Portuguese may be also specifically required and such will be clearly mentioned in the requirements of the position;All BNP Paribas employees in Canada must be adequately vaccinated against COVID-19 on the date of hire, unless exempt for a reason protected by the Canadian Human Rights Act.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal Top Employer 2022
- Women in Governance – Parity certified – Silver certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **