Credit Risk Analyst, Banks and Broker dealers
- Standard / Permanent
- CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal’s Top Employers in 2023. We are a dynamic and growing organization having its main establishment located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future. Note that the position may be in the Canadian Branch of BNP Paribas or in one of its subsidiaries based in Montreal.
The position at a glance
We operate between front office and senior risk decision makers by analyzing financial institutions and generating actionable credit risk recommendations for review. In addition, we monitor the organization’s institutional credit risk portfolio on an ongoing basis and intervene where necessary. The team also promotes a strong culture of risk management within the Group.
Main responsibilities are:
- Credit and counterparty risk, as well as taking into consideration market risk, funding and liquidity risk, interest rate and FX risk of the Banking book, and operational risk.
- Provide a holistic view of the risk profile to the Bank’s Management and Board, by coordinating with relevant teams to ensure appropriate risk assessment, aggregation, and reporting.
- Prepare and present credit reviews and requests to committees.
- Includes comprehensive financial analysis of counterparties and peer comparisons, submit ratings with the help of internal models, along with authoring a final recommendation to senior risk management.
- Analyze capital markets and corporate banking transactions with financial institutions.
- Capital markets: derivatives (swaps, foreign exchange, credit and equity derivatives), repo, securities lending, prime services.
- Coordinate all aspects of a credit risk process in liaison with Coverage, Business, and other functions.
- Review counterparty credit exposure excesses reported by the Credit Risk Control team.
- Co-ordinate with Legal Department in executing legal documentation by defining credit-sensitive terms.
- Review all legal documentation; ensure necessary documents are in place while maintaining familiarity with products covered under ISDA/CSA, PSA/ISMA, and SLMA.
- Work closely with Relationship Managers, Traders, Market Risk, Legal and Operations personnel to structure transactions to mitigate diverse forms of risk.
- Support all business lines credit requests / transactions for BNP Paribas’ clients.
- Excellent project management skills in order to review several files simultaneously with an effective prioritization of requests (in conjunction with immediate supervisor).
- Participate in reviewing portfolio exposures and data quality.
- Keep up to date with industry risks, trends, credit, regulatory, and legal issues.
The strengths and skills that will help you succeed
- BS/BA required (finance or economic preferred)
- 5 years financial industry experience
- Self-starter and highly motivated to learn about the financial institution industry and capital markets products
- Excellent verbal and written communication. Must be able to justify and firmly express credit opinions
- Strong organization skills and deadline management
- Team environment: requires comfort interacting with credit analysts, relationship managers, front office sales, and clients
- Proficiency in Word and Excel (spreadsheet analysis)
- Knowledge of the English language is required
- Knowledge of capital markets products and legal documentation (ISDA, CSA, GMRA…)
- Knowledge of corporate banking transactions
- Credit risk experience with financial institutions
- Portuguese or Spanish is a plus
- CFA, CPA, FRM or reputable MBA is a plus
What’s in it for you
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer flexible benefits including a family and spouse insurance program, a defined contribution pension plan and paid days for volunteering. Hybrid work arrangements, such as remote working up to 50% and flexible working hours are available for most positions. BNP Paribas provides excellent training and personal development programs, as well as opportunities for career development within the company and internationally.
To find out more about our range of benefits, click here
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;
- If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- Given the vast majority of our clients, both internal and external, are based outside of Quebec and Canada, specific language requirements may apply. These will be clearly mentioned in the qualifications of the position;
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal Top Employer 2023
- Canada’s Best Diversity Employer 2023
- Women in Governance – Parity certified – Gold certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
- Part of Les Affaires top 300 companies in Quebec
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **