Credit Analyst – Regulated Funds
- Standard / Permanent
- CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal’s Top Employers in 2023. We are a dynamic and growing organization having its main establishment located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future. Note that the position may be in the Canadian Branch of BNP Paribas or in one of its subsidiaries based in Montreal.
The position at a glance
Financial Institutions Coverage (FIC) is a global coverage group specializing in the Financial Institutions sector. FIC aims to build long-term relationships with key clients and gain insight into client strategy and targets to provide original and integrated ideas and solutions.
Within FIC, FIC Credit Team is responsible for completing the credit analysis for financial institutions clients (including due diligence when necessary).
In particular, the Team ensures that credit analysis and recommendations are provided in due time for Banks, Insurances, Sovereign, Brokers, other non-banks financial institutions, pensions funds, funds, hedge funds, regulated funds, funds of hedge funds, agency arrangements and asset managers.
The Credit Team performs credit analysis and provide credit recommendations on their respective perimeter to Credit Committees, Transaction Approval Committees when the credit opinion on a specific counterparty is required, other RISK entities, Business Units or functions in response to general enquiries, Portfolio review committees.
The Credit Team
- Guarantees the quality of credit files and portfolios (notably by complying with regulatory framework e.g. Basel III requirements and including credit policies, rating policies and other Group guidelines),
- Develops local market intelligence by performing desk research (financial statement analysis, monitoring of published research),
- Guarantees the selection and the follow up of counterparties considered Doubtful, under Watch List or sensitive list, evaluates the accurate level of provisioning
- Maintains a network of Business contacts and performs on site due diligence, guarantees that available local market information and views on risk issues are communicated swiftly and effectively.
The Credit Team is a main partner for the Senior Credit Officers and their Business binomes for the clients covered by the financial institution credit process and is in permanent interaction with other business lines for uncovered clients
- Prepare and present annual credit reviews and new requests to credit committees
- This process includes comprehensive analysis on the counterparty and comparison with its peers, recommendation of rating using internal rating models, and expression of credit opinion.
- Analyze capital markets and corporate banking transactions with regulated funds and agency principals.
- Capital markets: derivatives (swaps, foreign exchange, credit and equity derivatives), repo, securities lending, prime services.
- Corporate banking: import and export trade finance transactions, and syndicated loan participations.
- Coordinate all aspects of the credit risk process in liaison with Coverage, Business, and other Functions.
- Review counterparty credit exposure excesses on financial institutions reported by the Credit Risk Control team.
- Co-ordinate with Legal Department to execute legal documentation by providing credit-sensitive terms.
- Review all legal documentation during annual review, ensuring all necessary documents are in place (including guarantees) and being familiar with the products covered under ISDA/CSA, PSA/ISMA, and SLMA.
- Work closely with Relationship Managers, Traders, Market Risk, Legal and Operations personnel to structure transactions to mitigate diverse forms of risk.
- Support all business lines credit requests / transactions for BNP Paribas’ clients.
- Effectively handle multiple tasks and review several files simultaneously through effective prioritization of requests (in conjunction with immediate supervisor) and sound organizational skills.
- Participate to internal exercises to review exposures and ensure data quality for counterparties.
- Keep up to date with industry risks/trends, including credit, regulatory, and legal issues.
The strengths and skills that will help you succeed
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- BS/BA required (with finance or economic background preferred).
- 4+ years’ experience in capital markets or credit risk analysis
- Self-starter and highly motivated to learn about derivatives and other capital markets products
- Clear communication skills to firmly and confidently express credit decisions & opinions
- Ability to organize time and meet deadlines/deliver requests on time
- Ability to work in a team environment: interacting with other credit analysts, relationship managers, front office and clients
- Knowledge of the English language is required
- Knowledge in capital markets products and related legal documentation (ISDA, CSA, GMRA…)
- Formal credit training on funds within a financial institution
- MS, MBA, CFA or FRM is a plus
What’s in it for you
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer flexible benefits including a family and spouse insurance program, a defined contribution pension plan and paid days for volunteering. Hybrid work arrangements, such as remote working up to 50% and flexible working hours are available for most positions. BNP Paribas provides excellent training and personal development programs, as well as opportunities for career development within the company and internationally.
To find out more about our range of benefits, click here
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;
- If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- Given the vast majority of our clients, both internal and external, are based outside of Quebec and Canada, specific language requirements may apply. These will be clearly mentioned in the qualifications of the position;
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal Top Employer 2023
- Canada’s Best Diversity Employer 2023
- Women in Governance – Parity certified – Gold certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
- Part of Les Affaires top 300 companies in Quebec
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **