- Employment contract
- Standard / Permanent
- Job / Mission
- FINANCE ACCOUNTS AND MANAGEMENT CONTROL
In a changing world, unprecedented challenges require unmatched talent. Join one of Montreal’s Top Employers in 2023. We are a dynamic and growing organization having its main establishment located in downtown Montreal and part of a leading international banking institution fully committed to building a more sustainable future. Note that the position may be in the Canadian Branch of BNP Paribas or in one of its subsidiaries based in Montreal.
The position at a glance
The Subject Matter Stream (SMS) accounting team is a part of the Financial Accounting and Reporting Group. The main tasks of the team is to maintain the ledgers in IFRS, performing controls related to the end of Month/Quarter period, perform the Matisse (IFRS) and Management accounting reporting to the Group for entities under OFS (General ledger) and maintain a proper control environment. Beyond that, the SMS team actively participate in the implementation of new accounting standards and projects with accounting impacts, and improve processes and create efficiencies to increase the benefit of Corporate & Institutional Banking in the Region.
SUMMARY OF THE ROLE
The Accounting Senior Analyst day-to-day maintenance and control of the general ledgers for the entities and products under his / her responsibility. When applicable, he / she coordinates investigations, review of ledgers and potential accounting adjustments with the operations and reporting teams that he / she supports. He / she must also assist his Manager in terms of team management, project management and closing periods.
The Accounting Senior Analyst reports to the Manager Accounting and Financial Control in Montreal.
• Assist the Manager with the day-to-day production tasks during the closing period;
• Enforce controls and ensure that balance sheets are in balance; review balance sheet reconciliations for the accounts assigned to Finance;
• Ensure the completeness and accuracy of feeds from the operating systems to the general ledger through a review of the reconciliation reports;
• Provide assistance in responding to questions from the external auditors, Client Service Team, Operations, Projects and reporting teams;
• Participate as reviewer on the Cost of Risk provision processes for IFRS;
• Review the upload quarterly from Ledger to Matisse (Group Reporting Tool) assuring that head-office reporting requirements and instructions are covered across the different schedules;
• Review policies and procedures related to Finance activities;
• Help the Manager to manage large scale projects for the team;
• Escalate problems / issues to the Manager in a timely manner;
• Be a mentor and coach the less experienced team members to help them complete investigations and reporting related questions;
• Provide quality services to other teams / Groups;
•Prepare quarterly pre-closing memo with main highlights;
• Review quarterly GAAP adjustments (IFRS convertion) in order to make sure reporting figures are well presented in both GAAPs;
• Participate in the upgrades/version releases of respective reporting tools, as well as system amendments/enhancements required to facilitate new/modified reporting requirements. In connection with this effort, assist in user acceptance testing and trouble-shooting after deployment;
• Assist in identifying operational process improvements in production, control procedures, and workflow organization to increase the team’s efficiency and effectiveness. Also assist in integrating and streamlining the reports under the team’s responsibility;
• Assist in implementing various changes of accounting schemas within the systems
• Assist operations with the review of complex transactions and how they will be managed in the systems, reported in the financial statements and in the performance management tools
The strengths and skills that will help you succeed
• Accounting degree. CPA designation.
• 6 to 8 years of financial and/or management accounting experience, preferably from an accounting firm (Big 4 or medium-sized) or within the Financial Services/Banking Industry
• Ability to deliver/ be result driven: Be a self-starter and team player, able to work independently and collaboratively with various teams in a deadline-focused environment; strong communication skills, both written and verbal
• Ability to develop and leverage networks: Professional posture to develop and maintain key relationships with the business lines and back office transactional contacts;
• Analytical ability: ability to learn new systems and products quickly; effective analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills;
• Accounting: Working knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles, IFRS and regulatory and tax accounting rules and regulations; Moderate capital markets and Global banking products knowledge
• Excellent Excel skills (including pivot tables, VLOOKUP, SUMIF)
• Knowledge of the English is required
What’s in it for you
In addition to competitive compensation, we offer flexible benefits including a family and spouse insurance program, a defined contribution pension plan and paid days for volunteering. Hybrid work arrangements, such as remote working up to 50% and flexible working hours are available for most positions. BNP Paribas provides excellent training and personal development programs, as well as opportunities for career development within the company and internationally.
To find out more about our range of benefits, click here
What you need to know
- We will review candidates as they apply, so don’t wait to submit your application;
- If you are selected to participate in the recruitment process, please inform Human Resources of any accommodations you may require. BNP Paribas will work with you to ensure that you are able to participate fully in the process;
- You must be legally eligible to work in the Greater Montreal area and, if applicable, hold a valid work or study permit. Physical presence in BNP Paribas’ office(s) is an essential function of this position;
- Given the vast majority of our clients, both internal and external, are based outside of Quebec and Canada, specific language requirements may apply. These will be clearly mentioned in the qualifications of the position;
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) at the heart of our commitments
At BNP Paribas all employees are on an equal footing allowing us to create a work environment that values and respects people for their talents, skills and competences.
BNP Paribas recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, disability, age, and other protected status (Employment Equity Act and Canadian Human Right Act).
To learn more about our DE&I commitments, click here
BNP Paribas is the top bank in the European Union and a major international banking establishment. Present in 65 countries, with more than 190,000 employees, the bank holds key positions in several areas of banking and financial services.
BNP Paribas’ mission is to contribute to a responsible and sustainable economy by financing and advising its clients according to the highest ethical standards, while striving to respond to essential concerns in terms of the environment, regional development and social inclusion.
Since 1961, BNP Paribas has supported large Canadian companies and institutions in their business development by offering a full range of specialized financial services and investment products.
With over 1,200 employees, BNP Paribas in Canada continues to attract experts from diverse fields as well as ambitious young talent from around the world. We are proud to offer our employees a rewarding and international workplace where they can build their professional careers by honing their skills, meeting challenges and enriching their knowledge of the financial industry.
Our certifications and partnerships
- Montreal Top Employer 2023
- Canada’s Best Diversity Employer 2023
- Women in Governance – Parity certified – Gold certification
- CCDI Consulting Inc. (Canadian Center for Diversity and Inclusion)
- Pride at Work Canada
- Rainbow Accreditation issued by Canada’s LGBT+ Chamber of Commerce (CGLCC)
- ROSEPH – Grouping of specialized organizations for the employment of persons with disabilities
- Part of Les Affaires top 300 companies in Quebec
Do you want to discover other BNP Paribas offers in Canada?
Click here: BNP Paribas in Canada Our job offers
** Only selected applications that meet the requirements of the role will be contacted **